Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Wreath



Today is the first day of Spring...
I love springtime.  I love the trees blooming, the weather warming, and the fact that my kids can go outside and play.  In fact in Utah the last week has been amazing. 
But with Utah weather you never quite know what you are going to get.  On Saturday night my boys were out playing in the dirt building roads and 'bolcanos' (as they say it).  And wouldn't you know it,  we woke up Sunday morning to this...


And of course it has stayed that way for the last few days.  Naturally we would have an amazing winter and on the last day of winter is when it finally felt like winter. 

But since we had had such nice weather the week before I was itching to get something springy on my door.  Plus my husband said it was time for the Valentines wreath to go down (I thought he was over reacting til I realized that Valentines day was more than a month ago...oops). 

So I began my quest for a cute and 'springy' wreath.  Of course I saw this adorable wreath on Pinterest and knew I wanted to make it.   

Here is how my wreath turned out...



And here is how I made this...
Supplies:

Umbrella (preferably with a hook handle)---I got mine from Joanns
fake flowers
ribbon
(seriously how cute is that umbrella...I love the colors...)

After gathering your supplies you begin by stuffing your flowers into the umbrella.  Make sure to undo the tie and then stuff.


Once you have the flowers arranged the way you like, take a ribbon and tie towards the end of where the flower stems end. 

(not the best shot of it but you get the idea)


Now the next step can be done a number of ways.  It involves the hanging of the wreath. 
You could just hang it from the hook handle, but I wanted my umbrella to be a little more tilted.
So I opted to tie some more ribbon through the other ribbon and made a loop to attach it to my wreath holder.  Of course when I went to hang it on the door the umbrella just drooped...So my solution was to use duct tape to keep the umbrella together...like so

(yep this is how I craft...with duct tape...fancy I know...I also placed a piece of duct tape on my door to give it extra security to the door)


Anyways I love the look of the umbrella on the door instead of a traditional wreath.  It just screams SPRING to me.  And despite me putting this on my door in a snowstorm, I am hoping that the weather will use my door as inspiration to become springy:)



Photobucket

12 comments:

Kristin said...

Love your wreath!

Marcy said...

That is so stinkin' CUTE!! I love it! I am so going to have to give it a try! Thanks!

Heidi said...

So cute and unique...gotta go find me a cute lil umbrella now!!

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

This is so cute, now I want one!

Kimberly T. said...

I love the umbrella, what a fun idea!

Unknown said...

I was inspired by the same Pinterest pic but have only now taken down the St. Pat's wreath! Yours looks great...just pops against the dark door! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share. I posted this on my FB page today too.

tiffunny said...

I love your front porch. it is so cute and so is the wreath. clever idea. but mostly i just always covet your dark door and your brick exterior!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is one of the most creative wreath ideas I've seen!! I adore that umbrella! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! You did an amazing job with it! I'm visiting for The Shady Porch, and I'm now a follower here!

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

So cute!!! Perfect for those April showers!!! xoxo- Rachel

http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/03/diy-trailing-dogwood-wreath-pottery-barn-knock-off.html

Suffia said...

Very creative. I love your wreath so much. Happy Spring.

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

SO fresh and fun! I'm including this in a 5 for Friday roundup of new spring door decor ideas, with one pic and a link back to this post. Great job!! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...